Outfits Inspiration cute life Links

Thursday 26 June 2014

COOL FOR CATS / TONERPALOOZA





Monki Meddow Meow Earrings - ASOS
Chunky Neon Pink Chain - Present from New York from my Bestie

Vintage Silver Scarf Ring that belonged to my darling Granny


Pamela Mann Kitty Tights - Present from Paris
Converse Fluro Platforms - Authentics

Pastel Pink Velvet Skirt - DIY - Now that I have finally made a pattern for this skirt you can expect a lot more DIY tube skirts on the horizon :)


I ventured into the State Library of Victoria to check out Tonerpalooza: a festival of the zines. My brother in law had flown down from New South Wales  to share and exhibit his work and I had been meaning to get my hands on a copy of his book, Electric Dreams. 

This was my first attendance at a zine festival and I was unsure of what to expect. One thing I always figure going into a creative space is that I will feel comfortable. In all honesty I felt a bit awkward in the space and I think a big part of that was because I received a lot of comments on my outfit. I often have random people express their opinions on my outfits and majority of the time it is really lovely but I get thrown off guard and am at a bit of a loss for words when I receive outfit observations. I am sure you have experienced the observation comment, it's when someone doesn't compliment you and they may not be putting you down, they simply express a fact. In this case it was "You must really like pink" and "You must really like cats." Both of these things are correct but on the numerous occasions they were said, it was with an almost condescending tone. This played into my insecurity about not being taken seriously in some environments because I am visually very femme and cutesy. This isn't a new experience for me and I think there is a part of me that likes dressing like this to fuck with people’s perceptions but it doesn't ease the discomfort in the moment.

I did end up getting my copy of Electric Dreams and a few zines from the incredibly talented Gemma Flack who I have admired long term via Instagram.
 I also picked up a few bits and pieces from various cuties; I don't have everyone’s names but if anyone reading does recognise someone and can provide names or links in a comment that would be wonderful!
 I would have loved more sugar sweet girly zines and since the fair I have been thinking that maybe I need to create my own. I'd really love to do something themed, filled with happy memories and cute things that make me smile when I am feeling sad. I'd really like it to be a contribution with a bunch of the cool women I know.

And of course I had a favourite outfit of the day, this magical babe in her head to toe leopard print and divine heart belt had me seriously style crushing. xo


4 comments:

  1. Oh my god that outfit is perfection! your hair is absolutely gorgeous, I've always wanted to dye my hair some cool color but I'm too afraid to do it!

    ________________________

    http://femaleslickrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I was really scared to try it at first but I started off with a bit of pink on the underneath and now I can't stop! hehe xo

      Delete
  2. meow meow!!LOOOVE LOVE your kitty outfit! those earrings are too die for!!! xoox love you

    ReplyDelete